Whole Animal Butchery
Farmers’ Gate works directly with a carefully selected network of local farmers to ensure our supply of pasture raised meats and grass fed beef. We coordinate the transfer of the live animal that we see on the farm to the slaughter house – where the animals are slaughtered with skill and knowledge under state inspection – and finally to our back door at The Shop. The animals arrive in full carcass form. What this means from a product perspective is that we can provide any cut that you want. If it resides on the carcass, we can make it happen.
But this method of sourcing and butchery means so much more. It ensures that we keep close relationships with our farm and slaughterhouse partners. It also means that our staff at Farmers’ Gate know the story behind the meat that we process – we can tell you who the farmers are and how they raise their animals. Finally, this process ensures that the traditional art of whole animal butchery continues to live on. At a time when so many animals are slaughtered and processed in large centralized plants, stripped of their identity, broken up into pieces, boxed in volume, and then distributed to meat counters throughout the country, isn’t it nice to know that you can go to your local butcher and ask for any cut you want? A place where you can also get real answers to simple questions like “where does this meat come from?”
Burger Train [10 lb]
• (10) 1 lb packages Ground Beef
Beef Butcher Pack [20 lb]
• Steaks [6 lb – 3 top-tier, 3 economy]
• Roasts [6 lb]
• Ground Beef [4 lb]
• Stew Meat [4 lb]
Pork Butcher Pack [20 lb]
• Chops and Cutlets [5 lb]
• Sausage [5 lb] (Your choice. Over 10 varieties.)
• Roasts/Braising Cuts [6 lb]
• Smoked Products [4 lb]
Summer Grill Pack [44 lb]
• Ground Beef [5 lb]
• Grilling Steaks [6 lb]
• Beef Roasts [4 lb] (Ahhh, summer in Maine… you’ll want the oven going at least once!)
• Pork Chops and Cutlets [6 lb]
• Assorted Sausages [5 lb]
• Pork Shoulder Cuts [5 lb]
• (2) Whole Chickens [~4.5 lb each]
• Chicken Drumsticks & Wings [4 lb]
The Weekender [7 lb]
• Grilling Steaks [2 lb]
• Grilling Sausages [2 lb]
• Chicken Drumsticks & Wings [2 lb]
• House-Cured & Smoked Bacon [1 lb]
Prices updated 5/16/2016. Prices may change at any time due to production costs, so order today!
Meat By The Side
Why by the Side?
• COST. Save hundreds of dollars buying by the side. The very same cuts that you will receive would cost a couple hundred dollars more at our retail prices.
• CONVENIENCE. One stop at the butcher shop, and you’ve got several months worth of meat for your freezer.
• CUT YOUR WAY. We cut the meat exactly how you want it, and buying by the side is a great way to explore new cuts and try new recipes. We’re always here to share our extensive knowledge of cuts and preparations – we love this part of the job!
How it Works:
1. PLACE AN ORDER. Call or stop in to Farmers’ Gate Market or The Farm Stand. Beef requires $100 deposit. Pork/Lamb require $50 deposit.
2. PICK YOUR CUTS. We’ll teach you all about the different options and help you decide how you want your meat cut and packaged.
3. MAKE SPACE. It takes 2-6 weeks to turn around an order. While you wait, make space in your freezer – a side of beef fits easily in a 9 cubic foot chest freezer.
4. CUT AND FREEZE. Once your order arrives at Farmers’ Gate, we’ll cut it to your specifications and put it into deep freeze.
5. COME AND GET IT! Pick up your order at Farmers’ Gate Market (free) or The Farm Stand (with additional delivery fee, listed below).
What it Costs:
Orders by the side are priced by “hanging weight” – the weight of the whole animal after it’s been dressed and cleaned. Packaged weight is typically about 65-70% of the hanging weight, depending on how it is cut up. Add $.10/lb if you would like us to vacuum seal.
Whole (~600 lb) $5.45/lb [$40 deliv to TFS]
Half (~300 lb) $5.50/lb [$30 deliv to TFS]
Hind Quarter (~150 lb) $5.75/lb [$20 deliv to TFS]
Fore Quarter (~150 lb) $5.25/lb [$20 deliv to TFS]
PORK [Non-Organic] Price includes smoking and curing hams/bacons & making sausage of your choice
Whole (~200 lb) $4.00/lb [$20 deliv to TFS]
Half (~100 lb) $4.00/lb [$20 deliv to TFS]
PORK [Organically-Raised] Price includes smoking and curing hams/bacons & making sausage of your choice
Whole (~200 lb) $5.85/lb [$20 deliv to TFS]
Half (~100 lb) $5.85/lb [$20 deliv to TFS]
Whole (~60 lb) $8.65/lb [$10 deliv to TFS]
Half (~30 lb) $8.65/lb [$10 deliv to TFS]